Upma Rawa made from Samai (Little Millet)
Millet Origin: Karnataka/AP
Processed: Tamilnadu (Coimbatore)
- Among cereals, Samai has been found to have the highest amount of fiber. Its crude fiber content is nearly twice that of other cereals.
- Samai is rich in phenolic compounds that show antioxidant activity.
- This millet is an excellent source of Iron. One serving (30 g) can provide 16% of the daily iron needs for an adult man.
- Like other millets, Samai is also gluten free. It makes up for the lack of wholegrain fiber in Celiac (gluten free) diets.
- Samai has a low to medium glycaemic index thus is diabetic friendly.
- It is a rich source of the essential amino acids Histidine, Methionine and Phenylalanine.